Students who are eligible for admission to First Year
For the School Year 2017/2018 the school has 120 places for First Year boys.
Students to be admitted to St. Brendan’s College must:-
- Have reached the required age: 12 years on the 1st of January in the calendar year following the student’s entry into First Year.
- Have completed sixth class in Primary School or its equivalent.
- Be willing in conjunction with their parents to accept the school ethos.
- Be willing, with parents/guardians, to accept the School’s Code of Behaviour and Admission Policy. Confirmation in writing is required that parents/guardians and students accept the Code of Behaviour, as set out below.
- Application for Admission
The Student Application to Enrol Form 1 is available from the Administration office. The Application Form completed in full, together with a birth certificate of the applicant student will be accepted by hand only, at the Administration office, between 6.30pm on the 19th day of October 2016 and 4.00pm on the 28th day of October 2016. An acknowledgement of the Application will be given and must be retained for your records. Please note that an acknowledgment of Application within the appointed time does not guarantee a place in the School.
- Late Applications
Applications received after 4.00pm on the 28th day of October 2016 are deemed to be late applications and will not be considered, unless places remain unfilled following the offer of places to valid applicants. Late applicants will be placed on a waiting list. The order of the waiting list will be in accordance with the date and time stamped on the Admissions Application.
- Offer of Places
A letter notifying the applicant, regarding their Application, will issue within 21 days of the closing date (on or before 18th day of November 2016). Parents/Guardians of those students, who have been offered a place, must complete the Application Form No 2 which includes a Health Information Section, and detailed information including the Student PPS No and information as required by the Department of Education & Skills. It also contains a form confirming parent/guardian and student commitment to abide by the School’s Code of Behaviour. A parent/guardian must advise the school of their acceptance of the offer of Admission in writing on or before Thursday 1st December 2016 at 5.00pm, by completing/signing both the Acceptance Form and the Code of Behaviour Acceptance Form and returning both documents to the Administration office, by hand only, by 5.00pm on Thursday 1st December 2016.
Not informing the school of acceptance on or before 4.00 pm on Thursday 1st December 2016 will be interpreted as non -acceptance of the place offered and the place will be allocated to another pupil without further notification.
- Admissions Committee
The Board of Management has appointed a sub-committee of three people to handle the application and enrolments on behalf of the school. The subcommittee consists of the School Principal, Deputy Principal and one nominee of the Board of Management. The subcommittee will take responsibility for processing all applications.
- Selection Criteria
Where Application Forms received by the closing date above, exceed the number of places available, the Board of Management directs that the places will be allocated in the following order of priority:-
- Brothers, step-brothers, half-brothers, foster brothers of students who are or have been enrolled in St Brendan’s College.
- Students whose father or mother is contracted (in the current academic year) as a teacher, SNA, administrative or caretaking staff in the school.
- Students whose parents were past pupils of St. Brendan’s College.
- Students from the Primary schools in the greater Killarney area as per the attached list. (See Appendix 1)
- All other students living in the greater Killarney area.
- In the event that the number of applicants within a particular category exceeds the balance number of places available, then the date of birth of each student shall be used to determine maximum eligibility. The oldest students within the category will have greatest priority.
For information on our full Admissions Policy please click on the link below to download the document.
LIST OF PRIMARY SCHOOLS IN THE GREATER KILLARNEY AREA 2017/18
1. Anabla National School
2. Barraduff National School
3. Cahooreigh National School
4. Coolick National School
5. Cullina National School
6. Faha National School
7. Firies National School
8. Fossa National School
9. Gaelscoil Faithleann
10. Glenflesk National School
11. KIlcummin National School
12. Knockaderry National School
13. Knockanes National School
14. Lissivigeen National School
15. Loreto National School
16. Loughguittane National School
17. Presentation Monastery School
18. Raheen National School
19. St Olivers National School
20. Tiernaboul National School